I live by:

Weather...it happens!

Everything Monika

adopt your own virtual pet!

Monika's Reads

Visitors

My Button!

Monika Said...

Credits

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

The "Ducking Stool":

Anybody of you has an idea what I am referring to? Ok, what is the nr. 1 complaint men have about women? The feminists of us will love this!
No, not the shortage of sex (though that is a close contender!) NAGGING!!!
Most dictionaries explain this word with a reference to women´s constant faultfinding, complaints or demands. Sometimes there is no male equivalent.
Now, be that as it may...nagging was a punishable crime until the 19th century. Women who have been found guilty of nagging and scolding by the magistrate (and their husbands) would be sentenced to the "Ducking Stool", a punishment also reserved for prostitutes and witches. You have to imagine a woman strapped to a chair, hanging from the end of a free-moving arm. She would be dunked into a river for a certain length of time. Number of times and the length of each dunk would of course depend of the severity of her crime. Some women are tough and really want to train their husbands and the ducking stool does not always deliver the desired outcome, well...men are very inventive creatures and the punishment could exceed to her being dragged through town with an iron mask that has a metal bar going through the mouth holding their toungue down!!! http://www.shanmonster.com/witch/torture/duck.html

Labels:


Posted by Minka :: 1:38 pm :: 8 Royal Subjects

8 Comments:

At 13:33, Blogger Johnny Newt said...

So, in other words the 1st to the 18th century totally kicked ass!
We really need to bring back that Dunking Stool , that shit rocks!
Or why don't we just pass out the iron mask with the tonque depresser at each
wedding ceremony, like a parting gift! At my house "THE VIKING KING CASTLE"
we have a name for nagging wives, it's called "The woman chained in the celler with the gag ball in her mouth." So needless to say the nagging is kept to a minimum. Unless she realizes she likes it down there.

 
At 14:05, Blogger Minka said...

Hi Johnny! So I checked out your blog! Lovely...I have to say. So basically you think you are better than all of us, because you use a lot of offensive vocabulary???

 
At 14:45, Blogger Minka said...

oh...and Johnny! I would love being down in that cellar with your. Only to pull down your pants and laugh out loud at the sight that will present itself to me. I bet you even have a nickname for your favourite muscle! You know why men give their "thingies" nicknames, because they do not like a starnger to make their major decisions. Now bugger off!

 
At 17:50, Blogger Johnny Newt said...

I know you would love it down there, trust me they all do!
Fuck-Yeah I'm smarter than everyone else and not because my fuckin' vocab is god damned foul either just because I'm fuckin' smarter than everyone else!
No need to get all jealous sweety, I think your blog is pretty good, and your sorta cute in a wind blown Scandanavian sort of way, yeah you're O.K I guess I can let you worship me for a while, just tone down the female against the world attitude.
I know you've got some Viking blood in ya and that kicks ass , but now i'm your Viking King so only speak when I say,...K...mmmmK. all Hail Odin, All Hail Thor, All hail me the Viking King!

 
At 20:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok! tell me what were you looking when you found all these information?

Blys

 
At 10:40, Blogger Minka said...

Blys! You mean what was I looking for when I found all these information? Women´s punishment through the ages! I just read a book by Allan and Barabara Pease about the gender difference and searched a little on the net...and all of a sudden there was the ducking stool!

 
At 10:13, Blogger Clare said...

It's probably just as well people would rather try to work out their differences these days! I wonder how often the magistrate told the husband to stop spending all night in the pub and to tidy up after himself.

The ducking stool was used for suspected witches, too.

 
At 09:39, Blogger Mother Theresa said...

I think we should reinstate the Dunking Stool for certain men; I can think of at least one to start with. Are you sure nagging is the number one complaint? I would have guessed shortage of sex for sure. You can't blame them, poor things, after all they are genetically programmed to think with their...

Here's a little joke about men and women:
He said, "I don't know why you wear a bra; you've got nothing to put in it."
She said, "You wear pants don't you?"

There's more here:
http://www.jibjab.com/jokebox/jokebox/jibjab/id/644770/jokeid/141402

 

Post a Comment

Bow Before Your Queen and be Transported HOME!

-------------------------------------


Monika- Made in East Germany


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com