I live by:

Weather...it happens!

Everything Monika

adopt your own virtual pet!

Monika's Reads

Visitors

My Button!

Monika Said...

Credits

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Wednesday Snark!

I know, it´s been a week. But summer has arrived in Iceland and the week that that is going to last, I better be outside and let the sun kiss and tickle my skin.

For those of you that have missed me and need a dose of Minka, venture over to Centralsnark and read something or other about time, and how it doesn´t fly as much as it staggers on allowing you to grow.



Here is a bit of trivia about time:


"Fortnight" is a contraction of "fourteen nights." In the US "two weeks" is more commonly used.

A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

Any month that starts on a Sunday will have a Friday the 13th in it.

England and the American colonies adopted the Gregorian calendar on September 14th, 1752. 11 days disappeared.

If the sun stopped shining suddenly, it would take eight minutes for people on earth to be aware of the fact.

The monastic hours are matins, lauds, prime, tierce, sext, nones, vespers and compline.

The wristwatch was invented in 1904 by Louis Cartier.

Labels:


Posted by Minka :: 11:08 am :: 14 Royal Subjects

14 Comments:

At 12:39, Blogger consise10 said...

Just dropping by to say hello..hope your summer is bright and wonderful Minka.

 
At 12:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the factoids! Had you not posted today I was going to send you a list of suggested topics. Someone (who could that be?) did that for me once (or twice, three times) and I found it quite...what's the word...inspiring? No. Motivating? No. Oh well...that's not important right now. The important thing is that you have come in from the sun for a few moments. Get some sunscreen while you're at it.

 
At 13:03, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Why does a Jiffy always take days, then?

 
At 13:59, Blogger Minka said...

consise 10, well hello there and nice to hear from you too!

joel, some people are just annoying, aren´t they? Sunscreen, check!

Doug, some of us take just longer to circumfence then others?

 
At 14:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, Minka! Very timely.

A nanofortnight is 10^-9 fortnights, or about 1.2 milliseconds.

There's only one thing I can do that quickly.

Summer in Iceland -- must be a beautiful thing.

 
At 14:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeesh -- i go away for 5 minutes and not only do you have a new post up, but 5 people (4, not counting you) have already commented! talk about time moving too quickly!

LOVELOVELOVED all these factoids. and i adore the fact that you've provided me with the perfect excuse to share one of my favorite quotes by Groucho Marx:

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."

get it? HAHAHA! (oh, she's in a silly mood today, folks.) ; ) xoxo

 
At 15:19, Blogger Minka said...

al, summer in iceland is amazing, short and memorable. Not enough of it, in my opinion.

neva, I know that quote, and a good one at that. time flies by and I´ll take this fab person to work now :)

 
At 19:50, Blogger Nessa said...

I'll be over at the Snarks' in a jiffy.

 
At 00:03, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Actually, a male sheepherder in drag, (s)he made a name for herself saving wholesome caucasian Americans by barking.

 
At 00:24, Blogger Minka said...

goldennib, cool...spread your wings and fly, my little butterfly!

doug, is that supposed to be a limerick?

 
At 02:02, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

I had a good time reading about time my little penguin pal. I will be back in a Jiffy, or approximately a week :-)

 
At 21:29, Blogger tsduff said...

You forgot to add a New York minute: like the kind everybody had last weekend. I like your picture :-D

 
At 13:17, Blogger I Dive At Night said...

Hi Minka! Great post... but uhm, are you sure LC invented the WW? From http://www.lussori.com/watch-history.html I've read "It took until the 19th century for the wristwatch technology to come to fruition. The wristwatch was invented by Patek Philippe." And at http://www.omegawatches.com/index.php?id=264 they say their 1900 model is "not only the first wristwatch manufactured by OMEGA but one of the first industrially made wristwatches in the world."

Uhm. Ooops.

 
At 16:23, Blogger Minka said...

kyahgirl, as long as youĺl be back...I will be pleased. take all the time you need, even 8 days or so!

tpend proabbly 30 minutes looking at it! Very intriguing!

Morgan, go stand in the corner!

 

Post a Comment

Bow Before Your Queen and be Transported HOME!

-------------------------------------


Monika- Made in East Germany


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com