I live by:

Weather...it happens!

Everything Monika

adopt your own virtual pet!

Monika's Reads

Visitors

My Button!

Monika Said...

Credits

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Auntie Monika

Well, as most of you know by now: I am back. Germany was great. The World Cup, my family and German hair-styles made my days over there.

But after four weeks of summer vacation I am officially drained, tired and am thoroughly enjoying being able to go to the bathroom by myself, wake up when my eyes open and generally just focus on myself. I am glad to be back home, taking a holiday from my vacation.



Three nieces, each with their own personality, are quite a bit to handle. But I love them dearly and the things that drive me mad, are the things I most appreciate about them. You know how they can talk and talk and talk, and argue and argue and argue? Although painful at the moment, it is delightful to see how they develop opinions and don't give in that easily. Most embarassingly it is when one can't answer the questions they pose. I mean, I can muble my way through why the sky is blue and how do images get into the TV. But how did dinosaurs get extinct and is there really a man in the moon, are inquiries which I gladly transfer to whichever parent happens to be closer.



I did all the stuff an aunt is supposed to do. You buy ice-cream just before dinner, take them to the zoo-although you don't like to see caged animals all that much-, play hide-and-seek with them at six in the morning and spoil them rotten. You path on knowledge and ability. Like riding a bike for example. I was teaching Niece nr.2 how to do it and Niece number 1 watched me teaching her sister. After running around the block for quite some time, an alomst 30 year-old needs a break now and then. So I sat down in the gras and watched my oldest niece continue to teach Niece nr. 2. I liked it a lot and supported it in every way, all the while laying back in the gras and thanking god for a moment of rest. If I ever have kids, I am gonna have more than one. That way I get to raise the first and that one will raise the rest!



But they do the weirdest stuff. Take this picture for example. I had just bathed niece 3, painfully dressed her and when we sat down to eat something, she insisted on eating by herself. Both of us perfectly knowing that her ability to handle a spoon is similar to mine explaining Einsteins theory of relativity. Gravity came into it though and after 5 minutes she looked like that. Most annoyingly, she seemed perfectly happy about it!



Or this: Niece number 2, my little dare-devil, refused to get dressed one morning ...in such a pouty way that went right up my nose. She reminds me a lot of somebody, which we don't need to get into. So I sent her to her room to spend some quality time with herself and her pouting and asked her to return whenever she felt ready to start the day. 20 minutes later I got tired of waiting for her highness's return and went to her room, where she had used the time to cause havoc in her Queendom and sat in an old diaper box waiting to see what I would do next. Bless her cotton sox!

My accomplishments this July?

Niece one: is starting to think that reading books can actually be very fun
Niece two: makes her own bed and promised to let the goldfish be. She has a little experiment going as to how long they can stay out of water.
Niece three: has leaned to wake me in the morning by gently crawling in my bed and giving me a kiss on the forehead. Before that she used to bang the door open and anounce her presence by jumping full force on my bed and me.

Delightful, aren´t they?!

Posted by Minka :: 12:56 am :: 36 Royal Subjects

36 Comments:

At 04:18, Blogger Doug The Una said...

I'm completely impressed. You taught children things. I thought that was a lost art.

Well done, Aunt Monika. Aren't you afraid reading could lead to thinking? It's happened before.

 
At 05:33, Blogger Logophile said...

Aw,
such sweet lil nieces and such a very, very sweet auntie.
You are all blessed to have each other.
So glad you had a good visit and EXTREMELY glad to have you back.
The Things here LOVED the postcard and so did I!
mwah!

 
At 06:13, Blogger Tim Rice said...

Sounds like a neat time and neat kids even if tiring. Great pictures.

 
At 10:56, Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

YAY! A NEW POST! FUNKIFIED FO SHO!!! FO SHO!!!

Children... gotta love 'em, can't strangle 'em! Oy! ;-)

I can definitely relate to the talk and talk and talk and argue and argue and argue part! Suits Lil' BoheMia to a tee! Lil' Mischief? Now I wish I could say I know what sitting down for more than 5 minutes in a row was like but for now, *sigh*, it shall remain a distant dream!

Glad you survived the killer joy that can be kids and are back, ready to dish away! Well, I gotta go because, and I kid you not, I have to put the boy in time out for making a project out of destroying some new shoes I just bought him!

DAMMIT!

 
At 11:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morning Minka,

You make a great Auntie. Such sweet girls, especially from a distance now.:)
Glad to see you back home, and recovering from your vacation. I'm sure you are counting the days until the next one.

 
At 11:44, Blogger Minka said...

Doug, yeah I was aware of that thinking part. That is why the books title are those of "Why listening to your aunt pays off", "If you don't know something, ask your aunt!" and "How to become like your aunt":)

Logo, yes we are very blessed. And I know it so very much. I like the feeling of how I feel when I am around them!

Tim, neat? Maybe the first hour after dressing. After that...not so neat anymore:)

Miz B. I would have posted sooner, but darn blogger doesn´t let me publish photoes anymore, and they seemed essential!
Sitting down for 5 minutes, yeah you tressure those once the kids are asleep!

Brian, yes from a distance they look like sweet little angels. Which they are in a sense, but they also have that little persistance of testing every nerve in your body and see if tehy can tickle it! I used to be just like that!

 
At 14:57, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Hahaha, Minka! Excellent selections. I should buy my niece a copy of The Illustrated Horses Ride Better Than Uncles. The artwork is just precious. By the way, someone should say it: spectacular typing!

 
At 15:02, Blogger Minka said...

ohoh...what did I type wrong now?! I notcied one mistake, how many have you got?

 
At 15:59, Blogger Ariel the Thief said...

welcome back, Auntie! funny how a holiday can wear one out, now you are at home and can have rest in your own bed. your nieces are beautiful and lovely girls with full of life, does 2# have some of your personlality? congrats on the impressing auntie job, now go have some sleep. )

 
At 18:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

since when is a girl who's just *barely* turned 29 "almost 30"???

the best part of being an auntie is that you *do* get to leave, and come back whenever you want. trust me, it's a good deal.

that said, i'm guessing your beautiful nieces miss you like crazy, and you them... and that your visit will go down in family history as "The Summer of '06, the Year of teh Penguin"!!

it's good to have you back, Minka... you were missed here, too. xox

by the way, looking at those pictures reminded me of my own childhood, i'm the middle of 3 fair-haired daughters... and chaos was constantly left in our wake of girlish destruction!

 
At 18:46, Blogger Minka said...

ariel, funny you shoudl mention that! Nr.2 is a lot like a very likable person in our family. I encourage all her independence and decisiveness!!!

neva, thank you! The middle of three fair haired girls...I feel new sympathy arise for your parents :) I bet they loved it all! I already miss those three and their daily mischiefs!

 
At 19:17, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home Auntie Monika!!

The pix and stories were delightful!

 
At 21:26, Blogger Minka said...

jenna, thank you. I love pixing :)

Brian, exaggeration is a collection of syllables ot you, isn´t it? :)

 
At 21:49, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Why does no-one ever credit me with any sincerity. One minor error draws a sincere compliment and no-one believes me! I don't understand it.

Brian! There's wolf right behind you!

 
At 22:20, Blogger tsduff said...

Niece No. 2 sounds just like her Auntie :-) Guess they are all taking after their Ice Queen role model :-D

 
At 23:03, Blogger Minka said...

Doug, It might be your daily dose of sarcasm that has people confused ;) *pads him gently* but I always know you mean well!

actonbell, uhh...can I get one of them shiny thingies around my head please? That´s be cool :)

tsduff, it is widely believed in our family that niece nr.2 is somewhat similar to her aunt, which both parties find deligthful.

 
At 05:06, Blogger Alana said...

Welcome back auntie Monika! And yes, those neices can be quite delightful at times ;)

So sorry that I missed you when you were gone, only to leave when you get back...just gives me more posts of yours to catch up on when I get home!

 
At 05:44, Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

OK Mamacita! Check it out now! You had it all copied correctly... the way I have it up at my place was my own design to keep it tidy so I just put that up for you here too! Just click on the plus sign and watch the magic happen!

 
At 09:09, Blogger Minka said...

Square, I sure will. Now, have fun and make sure not to trip ;)

Miz B. You are a genius. I knew the code was rigth, but there was this whole other stuff that came along with it...but as usual you clean up superbly ;)

 
At 11:57, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your hutch down!!!! *cough wheeze*

Gotta cut down on the sarcasm, it's scarring my lungs. ;)

 
At 16:23, Blogger The Village Idiot said...

Very Cute kids monika, yet another reason I am glad I have two boys. If I had girls I would be done for.

Now, on to the more important things. Your bus trips, do you have any good stories to share?

 
At 16:44, Blogger The Village Idiot said...

Oh, and Minka? I drove with flipflops on. Im such a bad boy!

 
At 21:30, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Has anyone seen Minka today? I bet some kids ate her.

 
At 22:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being an aunt is wonderful... my niece's and nephew are the greatest!!! :)

But, darlin'... wait until you have your own... it is 10 times different. :) :)

Missed you!

PS... thanks for the "My Music Highway Project" linkage... :)

 
At 22:52, Blogger Minka said...

Brian...*hands him oxygen* huff and puff away!

VI, there are two and dop trains count? I knew there would be flipflops involved! You are such a little dare devil! I´ll alert the German police!

Douglas, I checked and can´t find her anywhere! Whisperes into his ear...she is in teh countryside and just fell off a horse ( in 9 years, slight headache!)

Shayna, mine is the pleasure to be sure!

 
At 23:28, Blogger Fred said...

You're back. You're back. You're back. Yay!

Way to go, Auntie. We love you, too.

 
At 13:06, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Sorry for the headache. But I'm glad you weren't eaten by children.

 
At 16:27, Blogger tsduff said...

Those horses are small... not too far to the ground, yes? Guess it was cracking your head on the lava that smarted.

 
At 22:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you'll make a fantastic parent when the time comes...maybe you could talk some sense into our college age sons??

 
At 04:56, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Her nickname means disaster and she gained her fame as an army scout, sharpshooter and trick rider.

 
At 10:57, Blogger Minka said...

Fred, that is pleaisng to know! And thanks for the joyful welcome. Made me smile!

Brian, i am fine and didn´t get hurt!

Doug, I am not that sweet!

tsduff, yes they are sorta small...and I lived to tell the tales. I guess all is well!

Joel, I am trying to finish my dissertation for a year now. maybe I am not the rigth person to talk to your college-sons :)

anonymous, Good for you, now leave me alone!

Doug, you are such a smarta**, hinting at the Thursday Trivia!

 
At 12:35, Blogger Tryggvi said...

Good to have u back. Iceland hasn't been the samt without u.

 
At 13:03, Blogger Minka said...

Thank you. Germany has never had that much fun though;)

 
At 00:38, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Your nieces are so cute. What a fun auntie you are!!
I'm glad you made it home safely from Germany.
Then you fell off a horse!! I'd ask to ride an old horse that could barely move. I would be afriad of falling off like you did.
I enjoyed my two week blog break. I had such wonderful times with my family. I will have a new post up tomorrow.
It is nice to be back visiting my blog buddies.
I'm still chuckling about your niece who likes to torture the goldfish.

 
At 00:49, Blogger Minka said...

Thank you Jamie. They got my blood running through their veins:)
It shows in many ways...

 
At 00:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP Nascar sandals http://www.savaria-wheelchair-lift.info auto insurance electrical steroid drive tennis elbow Effects of anti-psychotic drug zyprexa seroquel Directsatellite tv internet services in tucson arizona insurance lottery result hoveround electric wheelchairs Prepaid visa gift card no ssn Shaved teen cutie strips Teen girls in swimsuits at waterparks Plano vicodin

 

Post a Comment

Bow Before Your Queen and be Transported HOME!

-------------------------------------


Monika- Made in East Germany


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com