I live by:

Weather...it happens!

Everything Monika

adopt your own virtual pet!

Monika's Reads

Visitors

My Button!

Monika Said...

Credits

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Spring Trip!

No, not Spring-Break -wohoo! Spring trip...with the folks from work and other I-heart-danger personalities. Apparently many Icelandic companies do it once a year. They take their employees and drive them out somewhere to have a good meal. Being always hungry, I firgured I´d go this time.

So I got ready to go out and capture the spring...put on compfy pants, good boots, my rain jacket, a camera and an extra pair of socks. I showed up at the meeting point before everyone else. I have this weird thing where I am always on time! One by one the others arrived, in fine suits and dresses with a HAT! Best case-scenario of being under-dressed. Gosh, I would have been embarassed wouldn´t it have been for the hats:) Why the hats, you ask? I don´t know, might be an Icelandic spring-trip necessity...
Anyways, I was there and hardly could leave...so I better made the best of it. I introduced myself to a Russian. A White Russian that is. As the Vodka and Kuhlua gently warmed my stomach the rich cream caressed my lips. I introduced myself to two more. The hats started to look less stupid and I used my camera to take a couple of shots...pictures that is.

We were all flocked into a bus and off we went, some place in the countryside. I should have know there was no walking of any kind, no capturing of flower pictures or bathing our feet in the ocean...most of us were already to drunk to walk in a sensible manner. Ah, to be Icelandic. So we drove and drove some more-beer for free-, nothing around but lava rocks, and I started to get worried that the busdriver might have missed the right entrance when we stopped here:



That´s right! There is nothing around and all of a sudden, in the middle of nowhere we get a restaurant that can hold 200 people, a bar, koniack room and a chewing gum dispenser. I bought two, a red and a blue one:)


We had a good hardy meal, real fun, lots of music and dancing. Oh there was dancing. Mostly I was afraid there were gonna be casualties, but rest assured we all made it safe home that night. Some in better shape than others, some with more than they came with...

pretty similar to spring break really!

but:
What happens in Pigvalley, stays in Pigvalley!

Posted by Minka :: 8:05 pm :: 28 Royal Subjects

28 Comments:

At 23:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting Icelandic tradition...good for co-worker bonding I would assume?

 
At 01:13, Blogger Fred said...

Wow - that meal looks great!

 
At 02:43, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish my company would give us a Spring Trip... sounds and look like a gorging good time... :)

 
At 04:35, Blogger Sar said...

So if what happens in Pigvalley stays in Pigvalley and I'm reading it here, does that mean you're actually...The Pigvalley Queen?!

Glad you had fun and would you believe White Russians are my drink of choice too? Cheers!

 
At 09:01, Blogger Ariel the Thief said...

I avoid these company trips but at the moment you mentioned the White Russian and the Vodka, I knew it must have been fun. not rich in early Spring experiences but definitely fun. + food and dance! what a trip!

 
At 10:58, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Rabbit, Rabbit! That was a great and funny post.

I thought Kahlua and Vodka was a black russian. Which one of us has had too many?

 
At 13:35, Blogger Kelly said...

How embarrassing. Hats, huh? That is wierd. Sounds like you had fun anyways though.

 
At 16:40, Blogger Minka said...

joel...that and embarassing:) ´Cause you have to look each other in teh eye next morning at work:) nd if you have bahaved in a strange manner, everybody will know and smile at you in a way that makes you wanna use your fist on their face:)

Fred, lamb...very delicious!

Shayna, I´ll write your name down for next years fun! My department is gonna organaize it and damn, there will be walking and feets in the ocean. And if it is the last thing I do!

Sar, cheers! Yummy...
Can you believe somebody would call a certain area pigvalley? I just translated it, but faithfully...svinadal! And yes...it stays there...I haven´t told on any of my collegues...just hinted;)

ariel, as I did, you have to learn taht any icelandic trip with abunch of people will involve an excess of alcoholic lubrictaion:) Hence it always will be fun from a drunken perspective. Fun is in the eye of the beerholder, as we all know!

Knight Douglas, well, mine was with cream and therefore white. Your drink was probably black,becuase you put too much soul into drinking it;)

myutopia...one of the hats was efficiently used as a vomit holder on teh trip back. So they do seem to serve a function:)

 
At 16:48, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Ach! I see the German in Icelandic. Schweinthal. So I put my soul in my drink and you your heart? The worlds two oldest drinking games.

 
At 16:59, Blogger Minka said...

yes sweety, my heart is pure and white! Your soul a whole different story:)n You would have had fun on the trip...since you too are a I-heart-Danger personality :)

 
At 17:15, Blogger Ariel the Thief said...

reminds me of this pretty poem:

Lelkem fehér
Akár a hintaló
A tied fekete
Nem uralkodásra való

(something like My soul's as white/As a rocking-horse/Yours is black/Not made to be enthroned)

 
At 17:26, Blogger cube said...

Sounds like fun. Who would've thought a place named Pigvalley would be fun.

 
At 17:43, Blogger Minka said...

ariel, very befitting :)

cube, yeah I agree. Aber sie können die Sau rauslassen. A german saying for: let the pig out! Meaning, let´s have fun! Those Germans, always ahead when it comes to piggystyle;)

 
At 20:24, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

hmmm, so what else happened in PigValley miss M?

curious minds like to know :-)

sounds like a fun break. my employer is too busy doom and glooming us to death to go do something uplifting together!

 
At 20:28, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sure made the besy of it! Sounds like a lot of fun - even with the hats! LOL!

 
At 20:49, Blogger Minka said...

kyahgirl, I am not at liberty to divouge this information :) I still work at that place and some people might get embarassed. But rest assured, I behaved appropriately for my age :)

Snavy, Donæt just a hat, by the head it´s put on!;)

 
At 21:22, Blogger Lila said...

Rabbit, rabbit!

Glad you had a good time.

 
At 22:42, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

That's a meal that will stick to your ribs! Yummy!!
I bet you had a good chuckle over some of the dancing.
Drunk people dancing can be quite funny.

 
At 22:54, Blogger dddragon said...

Rabbit Rabbit!

Wouldn't it be nice to have a Spring Break in a place that actually LOOKS like Spring?

 
At 22:59, Blogger Tim Rice said...

That does seem like a funny place for a restaurant. My company doesn't take us out on trips but it does provide us with a Christmas meal and a summer picnic on location.

 
At 00:07, Blogger Minka said...

AP3, hase-hase to you too!

3D, well...I blinked...spring is gone now. But the good news is: two more weeks of summer:)

Tim Rice, yeah we have those dinner-parties too. Christmas and other Icelandic traditional foods, i donæt wanna scare you with;)

 
At 01:00, Blogger consise10 said...

It certainly looks filling! Are they potatoes left of the fillet?

 
At 01:43, Blogger S said...

What are you eating there in pigvalley? It looks delicious!

 
At 02:43, Blogger Aisha said...

interesitng looking picture :)

 
At 16:53, Blogger The Village Idiot said...

but..but..what happens in pig valley?

 
At 15:25, Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

Love learning more about the quirks of life in Iceland... Oooh! What happened in Pigvalley? Pray do tell!

 
At 21:19, Blogger tsduff said...

US employers could take a hint from Icelandic ones...would be so nice! The food looks scrumptious = anything with lamb works for me.

 
At 23:21, Blogger Minka said...

Sorry guys, I have been sworn to secrecy and since my collegues at work have started to read my blog...I really can´t divouge informations!

 

Post a Comment

Bow Before Your Queen and be Transported HOME!

-------------------------------------


Monika- Made in East Germany


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com