I live by:

Weather...it happens!

Everything Monika

adopt your own virtual pet!

Monika's Reads

Visitors

My Button!

Monika Said...

Credits

Friday, January 20, 2006

Husband´s Day-Bondadagur


The 13th week of winter has started in Iceland and with that the month of Thor has arrived, with it comes the celebration of our male gods -today we allow the delusion! It is a fairly old tradition and used to involve the man of the house, the patriarch himself to -how shall I put this?- liberate himself from all his clothes and take a run around his property the way God intended him to be seen. I hope you get my drift. Lately they don´t do that anymore. Believe you me! I woke up early and checked... Husband´s Day looks more like the woman of the house being really nice to him, pay him lots of attention *wink,wink* and the toughest men have even come to accept flowers! I think a man secure in his masculinity can actually say a sentence like: "Flowers! Honey, how lovely!"
I was working and we had all the delicious food mentioned in the last post. And the old ones just loved it...with a proper amount of Brennivin -I call it Icelandic vodka - we had them merry and singing in no time. The guys surely enjoyed their day to teh limits.
In the spirit of the day I tried some rotten shark meat for you. Seriously. Just so you guys believe what I am talking about: and let it suffice to say...I´d rather stick a needle into eyeball than to repeat that soon. There I was coughing and almost regurgitating, my stomach still turns thinking about it. I blame all of you!
But a girl´s gotta make her point!
Skál

Posted by Minka :: 9:17 pm :: 14 Royal Subjects

14 Comments:

At 00:39, Blogger admin said...

Where can I get some of that vodka?

 
At 12:46, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Monika, I laughed all the way through that post but, really, you are too kind to us.

 
At 12:57, Blogger Minka said...

hi Popy! I believe you can find it right next to the blood of Christ.
Doug, glad I made you laugh. Well I am a frapachino and with it comes sweetness(see Sar´s post a couple of days ago!)

 
At 21:13, Blogger TLP said...

Funny! Sorry that you weren't able to catch even one guy running around naked. Sad news.

 
At 13:02, Blogger Minka said...

TLP, I really looked...but they were either in hiding or naked in their bedroom ;)
It always pleases me immensely when you guys say I am funny...such an honour for this German :)

 
At 17:17, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember very well the first time I ate shark meat at Thorrablot. Before people told me that I have to drink Brennivin with it cause the taste of ammoniac is too strong. Unfortunately I didn't know that this small cube of white meat was shark when I bit into it. And OF COURSE I did not have Brennivin at the moment. It was degusting!!

 
At 17:43, Blogger Fred said...

Thanks for trying the rotten shark meat. I was just about to have some, so you spared me the experience. :)

I'll take the vodka, now...

 
At 18:12, Blogger Minka said...

Heike, you made it...I am so happy to have you here. Hope the trip back to Germany went smooth :)That and skata on teh 23rd must be the most horrible dishes. I´d eat a piece of grilled snake any day over that!
Fred, Skal, Cheers and Prost!

 
At 19:21, Blogger Biene said...

Girls, girls! I see that I still have a lot of work to do to make you real vikings.
Mom

 
At 01:40, Blogger Minka said...

Mom, there are some things one generation can´t impart on the next. I live in the hope that in 50 years nobody will remember rotten shark meat! It will just be one of those sagas :)

 
At 02:41, Blogger Tom & Icy said...

Yum. Rotten any-kind-of-meat! You make us hungry.

 
At 12:32, Blogger Minka said...

Icy, no on smelling t, it would not condition you to salivate :) Trust me...it has never occured to me to let a dog try this, I guess I didn´t want to be nasty!

 
At 16:50, Blogger Sar said...

Husband's running nekkid around their homes and receiving flowers? Eating rotten shark as a delicacy? Lordamercy woman! What planet are you living on? ;)

 
At 23:42, Blogger Minka said...

Well Sar, it is fairly cold here, so I am guessing the furthest planet from the sun!

 

Post a Comment

Bow Before Your Queen and be Transported HOME!

-------------------------------------


Monika- Made in East Germany


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com