I live by:

Weather...it happens!

Everything Monika

adopt your own virtual pet!

Monika's Reads

Visitors

My Button!

Monika Said...

Credits

Sunday, January 15, 2006

99 years old...


I worked yesterday evening. I had an entire ward to myself. I love being in charge. 7 people were under my care and one lovely lady turning 99 was my programme for the evening. Margret is her name and I adore her. She is fit as a fiddle for her age. Sight and hearing have mostly left, so I basically have to put my face so close to hers that our noses touch- for her to say: "Ah, I recognize those eyes!" I am the only one of 24 employees at my ward who has dark-brown eyes. It was so lovely. We had a cake-strawberry cream: which she loves- some pancakes and salmon-bread. We lit a couple of candles and the 7 of us would snuggle closer and read cards. Yes, Margret is that old and wise that you´d believe anything she says, even if it comes from cards:) They all agreed, being with one foot in the grave, that it would be more interesting to read my future than theirs.
This is what she saw:
-a couple of rough months ahead until the middle of this year, then things will start to arrange themselves according to my plans
-I will travel twice this year and meet somebody very special- her eyes twinkled as she said that!
-I will do something this year that I have never thought about
-overall my year looks pretty balanced, with a few downs and quite a few ups
-most importantly: I will realize what I am looking for!

That ain´t to bad, people...I am looking forward to see which of these things turn out to be more than a figment of her imagination:) It surprised me to see how all 7 of them listened with utter attention to my predicted future and didn´t find it a slight bit odd or funny. I couldn´t help - with my educated, realistic and modern point of view to see this as a fun and slightly weird occurance, a bit of magic. What a delightful evening indeed. Happy Birthday, Marget!

I´ll ask her for her picture today and might put it in later. Talking about pics, why don´t you go over to Mom´s page and look at one there!

Posted by Minka :: 12:44 pm :: 27 Royal Subjects

27 Comments:

At 13:15, Blogger Lila said...

99... amazing.

Sounds like quite a character! Must be fun.

 
At 13:36, Blogger Biene said...

Oh, I am so curious and excited! What a lovely future!
Mom

 
At 14:57, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Those people at the senior center are very lucky to have you. They need love probably more than any one else. The Lord will bless you for doing his work. I hope some of those things come true. I would love to see a picture of Margaret...

 
At 15:04, Blogger Sar said...

Travel twice? I'm getting the guest room ready as we speak, and I'll be waiting with open arms at the airport! :)

Happy Birthday Margret!

 
At 15:54, Blogger Fred said...

Mom certainly has some silly pictures.

Happy Birthday Margret!

 
At 16:25, Blogger Unknown said...

no wonder everone loves you, Monika, you are so special!

a very happy birthday to Margret... and nice makeup in your pic ;))

 
At 17:04, Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

I guess I will be your second stop! Hurry on over to Sar's so you can come see me in Spain! Bring Sar along too! We will recreate our limo night!

 
At 18:40, Blogger Tom & Icy said...

Sounds like an exciting year ahead for you. Do something you never thought of, and realizing what you are looking for. Sounds like a big surprise ahead for you. We'll stay tuned in! Oh the suspense!

 
At 22:28, Blogger Doug The Una said...

That's a good reading. Happy Birthday, Margret and thanks for wishing Monika well.

 
At 22:56, Blogger Minka said...

AP3, she is amazing and able to laugh at herself. I admire that in a character!
MOM, well I am not sure you are gonna be much involved in my future if you continue to publish unflattering pictures of me ;)
Lucy, thank you! And I took a picture of her and got her permission to publish it. IT invited a long conversation about the internet and she was not having any of it!
Sar, believe you me, next time in the States i won´t spend any money on hotels..I´ll be imposing on all of you big time! :)
Fred, and they say mom knows best. Wonder if he-whoever said that- was folowed visciously around with a camera!
Karma, I told Margret that people from the States wished her Happy Birthday and it seems like she was very impressed by that.
Uhlala...Miz Bohemia, Sar and Monika in Spain. Those people don´t know what´s coming!
Tom&Icy, I am just as anxious but I sure will keep you posted :)
Doug, I told her about you guys and your was the oddest name ever in he rmind :)

 
At 00:43, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Monika, the name's the normalest part.

Re: The picture

Aw

Aw

Aw

Aw

Aw

 
At 01:00, Blogger Mo'a said...

She is beautiful and so lucky to have you as a friend. Speaking of bauty.....how about that Monika?....you are are real beauty and when you have a red nose you are cute. I bet she will also tell fortunes in coffee cups :)
Now remember to put me on your visiting list.....I have the saeng(dun) on the bed already.

 
At 01:12, Blogger Minka said...

Doug, I´ll be sure to let her know! I figured as much...you are nothing if not spectacularly weird in such a lovable way!
Móa...for you I´ll have always a place! There is some space in the smallest place, if there is love!

 
At 04:08, Blogger TLP said...

Great picture! Nice-sounding future.

 
At 05:07, Blogger Sar said...

What a great picture! Please tell the birthday gal she looks exceptionally lovely for 99. Always nice to pix of Monika too.

Spain with you & MizB? Count me in!

 
At 10:06, Blogger consise10 said...

What lovely predictions for your future Monika :-) Happy New Year.

 
At 14:07, Blogger Minka said...

TLP, thank you and I hope my future is as bright as predicted:)
Sar, we counted you in a long time ago ;)
consise10, welcome and I hope you have a fabulous year as well!

 
At 16:06, Blogger The Reverent Eater said...

What a fine reading! And I would totally trust it coming from that wonderfully wise woman. She looks like she knows what's what.

 
At 18:02, Blogger Biene said...

I wish I wish I will look that nice at 99!!!
(And looked so sweet at 2...?)

 
At 02:45, Blogger Lila said...

What a great picture! I couldn't see it last time.

 
At 14:25, Blogger Minka said...

manchego, yeha I had teh same feeling, so I listened very carefully :)
Mom, she is the sweetest thing and looks do grandma like. I soemtiems call her Misses Santa Clause, becuase of her snow-white hair
AP3, I put the oicture up much later than I wrote the post, so you might ahve arrived before it was actually there. I love this pic too and showd it to her yesterday...she did not understand how she had all of a sudden come into this box, but she liked what she saw!

 
At 06:11, Blogger The Brooklyn Blowhard said...

Great posting. And by the way, you really are a cutie.

 
At 11:58, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Am I going to have white hair next time you post, Mädchen?
:P

 
At 14:31, Blogger Sar said...

Yeah, what Doug said. Where ya been Monika?

 
At 14:39, Blogger Minka said...

sorry, life has been a rollercoaster and now I am off to work...will post as soon as I get back from work, promise. Please send the black dressed guys back ... I´ll deliver the post as soon as I can. :)

 
At 15:54, Blogger cube said...

Does Margaret think it's a rush to have her photo beamed all over the world? She sounds like the kind of fun loving person who would love it.

 
At 23:37, Blogger Minka said...

I showed it to her and it led to a lengthy explanation of the World Wide Web. She found it very exhilerating to get birthday wishes from America for instance :) She also asked how long the message takes to diliver from on country to another...I told her"seconds" and she laughed and said..."Things sure move a lot faster now." I worked today and she asked me how my diary is coming along. She is priceless that one!

 

Post a Comment

Bow Before Your Queen and be Transported HOME!

-------------------------------------


Monika- Made in East Germany


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com