I live by:

Weather...it happens!

Everything Monika

adopt your own virtual pet!

Monika's Reads

Visitors

My Button!

Monika Said...

Credits

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Þvörusleikir and Advent


To make up for yesterday´s short-comings, the next troll around is Ladlle Licker. He is so thin and tall that he resembles the ladles which he licks. He grips them with both hands tightly and tries to get as much food as possible. I think he represents the child within all of us. Who can´t remember back in the days, when moms -who used to be actually at home once upon a time- were standing over the oven making some delicious chocolate cake (not the Betty Crocker version!)and you were standing anxiously by her side, waiting for her to drop that laddle into your hands?! Ah...memories and luckily, I still get to do that sometimes:)

Anyways, to spice things up a little: here is a quiz -of course about Christmas, *Duh!*
What is this triangle shaped wooden thingy and why -for all Santa´s reindeers- are there seven candles on it? In all fairness, I had to research the seven candles...the number always puzzled me and just so you don´t get side-tracked: there are no Jewish influences in this device-as far as I know. Come on you guys, be imaginative and Mom -don´t give the answer right away! :)

Posted by Minka :: 1:20 am :: 15 Royal Subjects

15 Comments:

At 03:11, Blogger TLP said...

I'm a laddle-licker myself. No kids around now.

The wooden thingey looks a bit like a tree-shape. Can't think what the seven candles are for.

 
At 03:15, Blogger Fred said...

He licks ladies? Oh, never mind, it's ladles. Sorry, I thought this post was getting a bit saucy.

Mom always baked cakes until we got older. For some reason, we all loved cooking, so Mom just sat back and let us do all the work.

Smart woman, my mom.

 
At 03:23, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fascinating stuff. I have no idea what that candle thingy is. I'm going to guess that you light once candle a day for 7 days before Christmas.

 
At 04:19, Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

I know, I know! They are Advent lights and that is an Advent candlestick! What do I win? Oh... big thing in Sweden...

 
At 06:05, Blogger Lila said...

Okay, TLP, that's disturbing! Ew.

 
At 06:32, Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

Oh! The candles represent the four Sundays of Advent as well as the three Sundays leading up to Knut's Mass Day, January 13th. Now do I win something? :-)

 
At 10:19, Blogger Minka said...

TLP, well...here is some chocolate dough for you then *please don´t hurt me*
Fred, *blushing at the suggestion* I guess it is nice to have you around Christmas time. I am sure the Missus is mighty glad of your talents. Does she get to lick the ladle?
Canadian dude, very good guess but not quite.
miz bohemia, I should have known. Somebody with so many nationalities in them knows about this stuff. You are right on all accoutns. Kudos! and also:teacher´s pet! ;)
Yes, these things are big here and I swear at my work place there is one of these thingies in every window. Now they are electric and we turn them on the first Sunday in December and they burn until the 6th of January- That is how long Christmas lasts here.
AP3, there comes a time in all our lives when we are embarassed about our parents :)

 
At 11:22, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Monika, isn't it a privilege that we were here the first time TLP embarrassed AP3?

 
At 13:03, Blogger The Reverent Eater said...

These little Yule lads are pretty food-focused. I like 'em. But maybe the Icelanders should try feeding them something during the rest of the year, too! Poor things! Look how skinny he is!

 
At 17:27, Blogger Sar said...

Dang, TLP!

Dang, Fred!

Dang, Monika!

What was the post about again?

 
At 23:22, Blogger Minka said...

Doug, you are quite right...it was a special moment for all of us when TLp finally did something displeasing to one of her daughters.
manchego, we don´t really know where they live...they come down from some mountain only ove rthe Christmas period. I am thinking it is pretty tough to carry food up to where they live. Amd yes, most of them are food orientated, not all of them though :)
Sar, what post? :) There is a ringing in my ear!

 
At 00:56, Blogger Unknown said...

this troll should have been fat!

one candle for each heaven?

 
At 01:44, Blogger Minka said...

Karma, incidently :seven and heaven rhymes, but Miz Bohemia already answered all our questions about the advent candlestick!

 
At 09:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you imagine that I know the answer? Thanx for your trust, but, sorry.
Mom

 
At 12:27, Blogger Minka said...

Mom, because I thought you were German and you are well, older (a little)! :)

 

Post a Comment

Bow Before Your Queen and be Transported HOME!

-------------------------------------


Monika- Made in East Germany


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com