I live by:

Weather...it happens!

Everything Monika

adopt your own virtual pet!

Monika's Reads

Visitors

My Button!

Monika Said...

Credits

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Laufabrauð

Leaf bread!-this one Idid make :)


This is an Icelandic tradition that goes way back. Iceland is such a small island in the big Atlantic ocean. The weather can be harsh and few things grow here. Everything needs to be shipped from Europe. In the winter season with its severe weathers, no ships sailed at all in the olden days. Commodities such as flour, sugar, salt and tobacco were considered a luxury. The poor could only afford these things on very special occasions, like Christmas.


It was thought a neccesity to serve bread with the Christmas food. The poorer households couldn't afford to buy much flour and to make sure that each member of the family got his share of bread, the cakes had to be rolled out really thin. It is actually mentioned that "if you can read the Bible through a cake it is thin enough." Patterns are cut into the cakes to make them more beautiful. Afterwards they get fried in very hot tallow and become hard and brown. Today, the decorating and frying of leaf bread is a family event and part of the Christmas preparations. As you can see: my mom is very fond of these little cakes made of flower, baking powder, margerine and water. Today we made ours and I am frightened that if mom is around them for much longer, there won´t be any left on Christmas Eve!

Posted by Minka :: 9:10 pm :: 13 Royal Subjects

13 Comments:

At 23:19, Blogger Sar said...

Sounds delicious and looks delightful - and she bakes! Is anything added when you eat it? Butter, jam, powdered sugar...?

The picture of your mom is a hoot! :)

 
At 23:32, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Oh, I was pretty sure my last guess was right, too.

Do they test good? Ask Karma about Dosa, by the way.

 
At 23:33, Blogger Doug The Una said...

And your mom is a riot.

 
At 00:01, Blogger Minka said...

Sar, yes I love them with a bit of butter and I eat them along with all the delicious Christmas food.
Doug, They taste like nothing special...it is the history of it all that makes them so delicious and I can´t have Christmas dinner and these are not there.
Yes, my mom is a hoot and a wonderful person. She is my mother by choice, not birth...and I love her dearly. I told her that I was making pictures for my blog...she didn´t mind. There were several of me baking these things with a Santa hat on my head...but I figured you wouldn´t wanna see those :)

 
At 04:14, Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

Bon apetit!

Pictures of Monika? Let me see!

 
At 11:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ja, deine Mama ist wirklich eine tolle Person, du aber auch!
Gruß aus der alten Heimat von Kerstin

 
At 15:43, Blogger Doug The Una said...

You are so very wrong to think we don't want to see a picture of you baking in a Santa Hat. I'm giving you 24 hours.

 
At 18:28, Blogger Minka said...

miz bohemia...Grazias!
Kerstin, schön mal wiedervon Dir zu hoeren. Ich hoffe es geht Dir gut.
Doug, challenge extended...challenge accepted. I hope you calculated the time difference!

 
At 20:07, Blogger Sar said...

I want to see the pretty German gal in Icland with her Santa hat too!

 
At 21:13, Blogger TLP said...

I should have come over here first! When Doug mentioned LeafBread as cozy, I didn't know what he meant.


I'm looking forward to the pix of you. Your mom sounds special.

 
At 23:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blush
Mom

Kerstin: ich habe nicht mal eine Weihnachtskarte geschickt. Schaem...
Ich lass bald von mir hören! Nett dich zu sehen!!!!

 
At 07:52, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liebe Sabine, ich dir auch nicht.... Hab dir gelegentlich ne mal geschickt, aber du scheinst kaum noch virtuell unterwegs zu sein, dein blog ist ja auch ganz verwaist! Schade!
Lieben Gruß von Kerstin

 
At 10:35, Blogger Minka said...

Kerstin, Sabine ist aber immer hier und sie liest meinen blog taeglich...weil wenn nicht, dannn rufe ich sie an und frage wo sieist :) Hier lönnt ihr euch immer finden!

 

Post a Comment

Bow Before Your Queen and be Transported HOME!

-------------------------------------


Monika- Made in East Germany


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com