I live by:

Weather...it happens!

Everything Monika

adopt your own virtual pet!

Monika's Reads

Visitors

My Button!

Monika Said...

Credits

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Iceland takes it home again!

For the third time the Miss World is from Iceland. Miss Unnur Birna Vilhjálmsdóttir made us ever so proud tonight.
Considering that we have 300.000 people living on this island, that only about half of them are female, only a tiny portion of those are around 17-25, and from those few left, only a few are pretty enough-I think that deserves some credit! I am not really one to be interested in these kinda competitions, but if you would live on this island and everywhere you´d go, people would talk about it; TV shows the show over and over again and you atcually know somebody that is friends with her - well, you can´t help but be happy for her. Iceland rocks and our ladies sure are pretty :)

On another note, I spent the day Christmas shopping with Tryggvi. He managed in three hours to purchase all his gifts. Now that is efficiency if ever I saw it. But it was so painful and tiresome. There are two big shopping malls in Reykjavik. The first one we tried, we turned around ´cause we couldn´t get a parking spot. The second one we actually managed to get in, but you couldn´t stop and look at things, becasue the people behind you were pushing you forward. But there is always one store where you have time to dwell and look around...the bookstore :) so I purchased a book The Cronicles of Narnia for, well...myself. It is coming to cinema soon, so I wanna read it before the film makers steal my imagination. I also bought Twister and I am going to give it to three little guys that come visit me a lot and so I get to play it as well. So both of my purchases were really for me.

The countdown of Christmas movies has started. This Christmas is not so merry and bright for me, so I have decided to watch lots of teary movies to bring love and spirit into my heart. Now, as I read this over again it sounds so sad. But it really isn´t. Life hands you all sorts of things! I have a warm home, people who love me, enough to eat and Christmas movies. I can make it as special as I want. It will just be different! I am desperately trying to see A Charlie Brown Christmas, but I haven´t tracked it down yet, so keep your fingers crossed.

Hope all of you are having a fantabulous weekend and remember how fortunate we all are!

Posted by Minka :: 1:18 am :: 17 Royal Subjects

17 Comments:

At 02:49, Blogger Lila said...

Yup... Iceland rocks, and you have purdy girlies! ;-)

I hope you can find A Charlie Brown Christmas and lots of other good stuff....

 
At 02:56, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Congratulations on Miss World. Monika, I'll bet my White Sox cap that you'll love Narnia. But this warning: The idiots publishing that series now have decided that The Magician's Nephew is the first book. THIS IS AN ABOMINATION. IT IS NOT THE FIRST BOOK. IT IS THE LAST BOOK Save yourself the warped perception of too many addled youths and read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe first.

 
At 11:57, Blogger Minka said...

Now people, what is "/*???
I bought the book The Cronicles of Narnia and there are 7 books in them, they are ordered as followed:
1.The Magician´s Nephew
2.The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
3.The Horse and His Boy
4.Prince Caspian
5.The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
6.The Silver Chair
7.The last Battle

is that the correct reading order?
And Doug, I take you up on your offer, if I don´t like these books your cap travels to Iceland!

 
At 12:09, Blogger Minka said...

Ok, I just did some research and realized that the books were published in a different order than they are now chronicled. It is said that when you read them the way they were published, it will be more surprising. What do you think?
C.S lewis is said to have stated that he liked "The Magician´s Nephew" to be first though...I am so confused now...

 
At 13:00, Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

I read them all as a kid, in the order given me by my teacher (I don't remember now but I can look it up for you!) and they were a world of enchantment. I still remember them now and carry their energy within. Magical books. It would be best to read them in the correct order though...

 
At 13:04, Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

I found this order on Amazon.com (they sell a boxed set)

THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW
THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE
THE HORSE AND HIS BOY
PRINCE CASPIAN
THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER
THE SILVER CHAIR
THE LAST BATTLE.

I just read your list again and it is the same! Must be ok then!

 
At 15:12, Blogger Fred said...

Congrats on Iceland's win. We just watched the Charlie Brown specials the other night - I hope you can find them.

Don't get to teary eyed - it's hard to type when the keys are slippery.

 
At 16:06, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Oh, what does C.S. Lewis know about it?!?!? I discussed this my brother last night. He thinks you should read Lion first but read Nephew sixth so The Last Battle is last. I defer to him. I think the main thing is to read Lion first so that you discover Narnia along with the children.

 
At 19:33, Blogger Lila said...

Well... it all depends if you want to go with the publishing order (making Magician's Nephew last, I guess) or the story line order. I personally HATE prequels... so I prefer reading the Magician's Nephew first. Sorry, Doug.

 
At 20:11, Blogger Minka said...

Miz Bohemia, yes that is teh order I have a swell.
Doug, I can´t see the titles of the books in your comments! I just see symbols, so I still don´t know the order you suggest reading them :(
I kinda have the feeling that you want me to read "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" first...and the Magicians nephew last...I think I am gonna trust you on this and decide that to be the appropriate order :)
AP3, I think it is very important to Doug that I read it his way...it seems to mean a lot to him and we can´t dissapoint such a cute dog :)

 
At 22:40, Blogger Tryggvi said...

Ohh the pride! We are all beaming here. To think of the achievement: to be born pretty! Thanx for entering the christmas madness with me on saturday, and with a smile on ur face no less! Couldn't have done it without u.

 
At 22:56, Blogger Minka said...

Tryggvi, you are most welcome...I am still impressed by the speed you managed to purchase all your Christmas gifts this year. 3 hours must be some kinda record!

 
At 23:48, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Thank you, Monika. I hope you will thank me as well. *wagging*

 
At 06:58, Blogger SonnyBoy said...

hello there!! well Iceland sure rocks!! Congrats for Iceland getting the title this time...
And hey its Christmas, whatever makes you sad??

 
At 13:28, Blogger Minka said...

Doug, whatever make syou happy :) And I have started with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I love it already and I think it was a good idea to start with that book, becasue I don´t really know what is going on and discover it as the children discover it. I Hope they find the Faun, he was so lovely!
Sonnyboy, welcome here. Actually you are rigth: I have no reason to be upset. I have everything i need to be happy :)

 
At 18:20, Blogger Sar said...

Monika - the most important thing is to get lost in the magical world, just as the children do. My dad read them ALL to us when we were growing up. My parents just saw the film and said they were impressed and surprised with how close it ran to the book, especially since it was a Disney production.

 
At 18:39, Blogger Minka said...

Finished The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and loved it. Great fun. Now they next book...I hardly do anything else at all when I am at home. I snuggle up in bed or on the sofa...have some candles burning and I am off to Narnia!

 

Post a Comment

Bow Before Your Queen and be Transported HOME!

-------------------------------------


Monika- Made in East Germany


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com