I live by:

Weather...it happens!

Everything Monika

adopt your own virtual pet!

Monika's Reads

Visitors

My Button!

Monika Said...

Credits

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Mants, English reunion and Icelandic dancing!

And this is just my weekend.

On Friday night, I went with a friend to another friend´s place and we had a make-the-dinner and eat-it-afterwards kinda gathering.
My friend is from Kasakstan and so we made food she grew up with, surrounded by her family. They are called mants, or what might otherwise be called dumplings. Minced meat with sweet potatoes in an umbrella of dough. But, surprisingly, they turned out well, although I was allowed to help. We had a lot to eat and great conversation. It was a lovely evening all in all. The centre of attention was of cause her little baby Alma, who -if I might say so- is one of teh cutest babies I have ever seen.
On Saturday evening the was a reunion party of my former English department. I decided at some point on Saturday that I didn´t feel like going and with that decission created a drama at the party without even being there. I have immense abilities-it needs to be said. But everything is sorted now and things are in good balance. It seriously drives me insane at night when I know that there is somebody out there that is mad at me and that there is nothing I can do about it.
Now I am off to see the Icelandic ballet dancing modern dance. In my experience so far here in Iceland it is either love or hate. I have seen both and wonder what this evening will do to me.
I´ll keep you guys informed!

7 hours later:
I just have come back from my cultural outing. The dance-show was vry interesting. No, I was not blown away. There were three pieces by three different Choreograohers.
The first one was about 10 people dancing each on their own. They were so much on the floor and up again that I wondered where they got the energy from. I was puzzled about how they could remember where to step by this apparent abscence of organization. They might have made a million misatkes, but how would I know...all of them moving on the floor in different poses. The piece was called Wonderland and I felt as bewildered as Alice when she entered a whole new world. There was a good ending though: the break, and I got some chocolate to cheer me up.
Just as I was considering what alternatives I could have spend my money on, the second dance started and it was great. There was dancing -not squirming on the floor- and synchronicy at times...that is all I really am looking for from these people. The piece was about our modern world and how we combine many things at once without being able to concentrate on just one thing. There was a webcam where the director was talking from London(busy attending to his sick child) talking about his choreography, and a woman was interbiewing him, all the while ten dancers dancing their a**** off. In the audience nobody knew where to look and your head was constantly moving, trying to see it all and not missing a thing. It came out well.
The third dance, and to keep the story short, had water in it. So I was good! I love water and seeing people dance in it pleases me. It was well done!
The thing about modern dancing...it could be about anything. You´ll never know and everybody probably leaves with a different interpretation.
So overall it was a good night one would think...until my friend left with some guy after the show and I left the theatre alone in an overprized taxi.
What a weekend indeed.

Posted by Minka :: 5:12 pm :: 32 Royal Subjects

32 Comments:

At 18:22, Blogger Lila said...

Wow, you're busy! I hope you have fun!

 
At 23:15, Blogger TLP said...

As long as you're not bored all is okay...I guess.

BTW, you said on daughter dddragon's blog that you'd like to see a pix of the pezes. Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you pix. My e-mail is on my blog.

 
At 23:46, Blogger Minka said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 23:48, Blogger Minka said...

I tried, but I can´t without creating an account...
what can one do?

 
At 00:11, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 00:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 01:13, Blogger Fred said...

Heckuva weekend. You did more in a few days than I do in a month.

It would take a lot to drag me to a dance show. I'm very happy The Missus doesn't like that stuff. Whew!

 
At 02:07, Blogger Unknown said...

sounds like a great weekend! :))

 
At 12:11, Blogger Minka said...

yes, it was quite fun and weird for soem reason. But it is Monday and the official working week has started, so enough with the excitement :)

 
At 15:11, Blogger Lára said...

drama? at the party? i must have been at a different party cuz i didn't notice any...

 
At 15:13, Blogger Minka said...

well Laura, you have to be involved in it really, otherwise you´ll hear it a week later!

 
At 15:38, Blogger Lára said...

oh i was involved at the party and the discussions.. i just didn't notice that your absence was that big of a deal

 
At 15:47, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Monika, your absence would have been a big deal at my party. Glad you made it. I think at the lower right of TLP's blog you'll find an email address that you don't need an account to use.

I can't tell if you had a good or bad weekend, but applause or sincere compassion as appropriate.

 
At 15:55, Blogger TLP said...

My e-mail is tanlucypez@aol.com

 
At 16:42, Blogger Tryggvi said...

I'm fairly sure Lára that u were not inside all the heads at the party. It only takes one really to make a fuss about something and BANG!, u have a drama.

"Dennis Wise could pick a fight in an empty room."

 
At 18:46, Blogger Minka said...

Lára, just becasue you didn´t notice, does not mean it did not happen.
Doug, thank you. Apparently some people do miss me. And yes I clicked her e-mail adress on the right side of her blog, but I couldn´t get into it.
I think applause and compassion are appropriate.
TLP, thank you for the easier way:)

 
At 19:30, Blogger Minka said...

But enough of this. I am sorry I even mentioned it. It was just a post about my weekend. This problem has long been taken care of and the two guilty parties have reconciled.

 
At 22:47, Blogger Doug The Una said...

I hope the person that was fighting for you whupped up on the other one. Sorry about my slow appreciation of your and Semisweets puns. Since you don't know I don't drink, I think I'll claim I was hung over from my birthday.

 
At 22:54, Blogger Minka said...

Doug, your birthday was two days ago! You must have made a record in beer consumption to be still hung over. But I´ll pretend that I did not notice :)

 
At 23:27, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Beer? Kerosene!

 
At 23:28, Blogger Doug The Una said...

and rum-soaked mants

 
At 11:58, Blogger Minka said...

:) ...were you also breathing fire? That must have been a hell of a party!

 
At 13:18, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tryggvi, things are not always what they seem. lára was inside plenty of heads that night and knew exactly what was going on... i think she's just protecting me in her sweet way.

the thing is i did make a 'fuss' as you put it because i was missing the both of you. there was some drama but not just on my part. it does take two you know, sometimes three and even more. it's just that i was the one to say something!

and no, i'll not hold my tongue the next time because this is who i am. i am going to tell people when i miss them, i just need to polish the way i do it ;)

i think it's a sad thing when people give up on each other. when friendships end.

i wasn't going to say anymore about this but .. stick a needle in someone and yes they will respond.

with that being said, i wish you all the best.

 
At 13:45, Blogger Minka said...

this has gotton way out of hand...
But this is my blog...and I have the right to defend.
Nobody poked a needle into you Maria, nobody even mentioned your name.
This was about Lára coming to my blog, questioning the contents of it, without having the facts. And even if she had the facts-as you mentioned you apparently were all in each other´s mind- she had no right to negate my statement in that manner, knowing it was true!
My blog- my opinion, and I for one think that it was a drama that could have been avoided.
I also mentioned that there were two guilty parties, nobody blamed anybody! Maybe I should have just ignored your sms, but I am not sure you would have been happy about that either. The bigger fault of this is yours and you know it. All I said is that you were out of line, which you were; your sms on the other hand was not that innocent.
Nobody gave up on anybody...no friendships were ended, they might have now...but that is life!
Nobody said you should hold your tounge, you never have and you propbably never will, but that is you and I am fine with that. I was actually flattered that you missed me and told you so.
This was a post about my weekend, no names, no nothing...MY weekend and the way I felt about it.
I like when people are loyal, but they have no right to offend others in the process!

 
At 16:18, Blogger Tryggvi said...

Well, isn't this fun! First, a few facts:
1. I'm not mad with anyone, nor do I bear any grudges.
2. I was the one who presuaded Monika to watch a movie with me instead of going to the party, simply because I didn't feel up to it. She would have gone.
3. The whole sms thingy is just one of those things that happens when people are in a certain state of mind, be it drunk or emotional or whatever. I think there is nobody to blame, it was just in the moment kinda thing.
4. "drama" is just semantics, it depends on how u look at it.
5. I had been looking forward all week to go to the party but for some reason I just didn't feel like it on the day.
6. I don't think hidden insults are "sweet", but again, its all semantics really.

But, how about we all take a breath and not ruin any friendships over a silly little thing like this eh? Things are sometimes said and in this case they have all been taken back, so that should be the end of it. I'm there for the next party! If I feel up to it of course...

 
At 17:12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

agreed tryggvi...

but i do feel like i need to explain that friendship ending thingy. throughout the years i've been terrified of letting go. letting go of people, memories, pain, joy .. you name it - i kept it.
however, life being as it is, people can drift apart. people you were close to drift away and disappear. and i want my people close ;) more so now than ever. you once said monika that you didn't know how to react to my cancer - i'll let you in on a little secret. neither do i.

that's why i wanted you there... and again, this is me being dramatic and emotional. add a little booze to it and ..... well....

i'm hanging on that talk we had monika. it warmed my heart when you called.

 
At 18:51, Blogger Minka said...

I too enjoyed that phone call. I thought everything was fine after that and I had long forgotton about it.
I always enjoyed being at your parties and had fun. I should just have gone, laziness and being a little down prevented me.
But you and me, coffee for two one of these days...how about that?! We can laugh together about being ridiculous... let me know!

 
At 19:14, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sounds good! i'm free most days (except tomorrow)....

 
At 20:19, Blogger Minka said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 20:20, Blogger Minka said...

Friday!?

 
At 23:19, Anonymous Anonymous said...

friday sounds good - let's be in touch then.

 
At 19:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shop online today. Forget driving to the mall when you can just click the mouse and order from your favorite store. No traffic to deal with

 

Post a Comment

Bow Before Your Queen and be Transported HOME!

-------------------------------------


Monika- Made in East Germany


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com