I live by:

Weather...it happens!

Everything Monika

adopt your own virtual pet!

Monika's Reads

Visitors

My Button!

Monika Said...

Credits

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Icelandic Bachelor and The European Music Awards 2005

I am alone at home, trippin' through the television stations.
I have settled on an Icelandic station (Skjá Einn) and MTV. Both for laughter and fun ... of a different kind.
I enjoy the European Music Awards...it seems to be more about music than celebrity. Britney Spears is not even nominated in any category, thank God for that. Green Day just took an award home and I am pleased and think it is gonna be the next CD in my shopping bag.
But not all European things are better than the American versions. And those are not that great to begin with. We have the Icelandic "Bachelor" now and it is painfully hillarious. Iceland is a small country and that has implications :)
The people on the show have crossed your way in one of the two shopping malls at least once. Someone you know, definately knows at least one person on the show and can tell you several intimate stories. The chances, that as the Bachelor you have slept at least with one of the ladies prior to the show, is a bet with good odds.
We also have the good-for-nothing-"Ladies, this is the final rose of the evening" guy, who seems to have no other meaning than to utter this particular sentence. Some sentences have been translated directly from the American version and sound so 18th century. "Viltu veita mér þann heiður og þýkkja þetta rós?" (Would you do me the honour by accepting this rose?) I mean who talks like that? Especially in Iceland where the word "romantic" signifies a mere collection of syllables.
Uhh...Luis Figo and Numo Gomez (Portugese football GODS!) just entered the stage...
have to stop bitching now!

Posted by Minka :: 8:45 pm :: 13 Royal Subjects

13 Comments:

At 00:48, Blogger Doug The Una said...

That is really funny. Like the Bachelor-Iowa City.

 
At 01:03, Blogger Fred said...

I loved living in Europe and watching all the different MTV feeds on satellite. Even though I couldn't understand some of what was being said, the music was great.

I agree with you on Britney. Good riddance!

 
At 02:42, Blogger Unknown said...

Indian bands doing fusion and remixes are getting pretty good. but one has to get used to bands from other countries doing western music :))

 
At 06:08, Blogger Lila said...

I love watching television when I'm in another country (not the USA) -- it's fun to compare and contrast. Mostly, TV is pretty silly everywhere!

 
At 16:47, Blogger Minka said...

Doug, I consider Iceland to be a state of The USA. We try so hard to be like you guys. I mena it is probably as far from Maine to Iceland, as it is from california to New York. I think we should have been annexed a long time ago.
Fred, I agree. The European Music awards are however in English, the hosts were Brittish though.
karma, I love a CD by a guy called "kahled", he lives in France and does Indian type music...he is great.
AP3: you are right, it is getting pretty nasty in the world of television. I ahve 30 stations and I only watch mondays and wednesday evening...the rest of the time, I read or listen to music. Cause those reality shows drive me bananas!

 
At 18:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Nuno is quite a hunk!!! :-)

 
At 00:02, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Welcome to the family, then. Can you say "You're either with us or agin' us."

 
At 00:55, Blogger Tryggvi said...

That Bachelor show just cracks me up. Its brilliant. There are no other words.

But honey, I don't want to be an American, ever. I would probably rather drink a gallon of cyanide than let my brain rot slow like that. Have u forgotten who's president? I mean, they haven't even discovered the metric system yet, for crying out loud! (sorry all u Americans who comment here regularly, I can't help myself)

Remember our walks downtown past the embassy?

 
At 04:09, Blogger TLP said...

How does Iceland TV compare to Germany's TV? Better? Worse? I think American TV is awful. I've been in Germany, but didn't waste my time there watching any TV.

 
At 12:28, Blogger Minka said...

Doug, thanx...we are proud and brave and free :)
Tryggvi, yes I remember...we were always strongly considering to just stand infront of the only embassy that is guarded in Reykjavik and declare our allegiance to the flag and sing "Oh see can´t you see...? from the top of our voices. Memories! (and I also remember you putting in an job-application at one point ;)
TLP, German Television sucks big time!IT is one of the worst things I have to do when I go for a visit.
Everything is doubted, everyone speaks German, the lips movement and the voices don´t even match. And that is just the movies. The rest of the TV programm is stuffed with talk shows...not like Ophrah or something...more like the Jerry Springer example! It seriously is bad!

 
At 22:02, Blogger Lila said...

Sorry you couldn't post today... it is really frustrating, isn't it?

 
At 22:43, Blogger Minka said...

blog can be a bitch :)

 
At 21:43, Blogger Tom & Icy said...

Cannels channels everywhere, but not a show to watch! That's about the truth of it everywhere as far as TV is concerned.

 

Post a Comment

Bow Before Your Queen and be Transported HOME!

-------------------------------------


Monika- Made in East Germany


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com