I live by:

Weather...it happens!

Everything Monika

adopt your own virtual pet!

Monika's Reads

Visitors

My Button!

Monika Said...

Credits

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving


Happy Thanksgiving


source: google images

This is a little tribute to all my American readers and friends. I´d like to thank you for your companionship during the last year, for all your lovely comments and words of encouragement. I hope you all have a great day today, good food and well, time to comment :)
And just to get those brain cells into action here is a little Trivia about Thanksgiving...

1) What was the ship called that brought the pilgrims to America?
2) Which year was the first Thanksgiving Feast held?
3) Which president first established Thanksgiving as a national day?
4) What is the magazine editor´s name, whose effort finally let to what is now recognized as Thanksgiving?
5) When does Canada celebrate Thanksgiving?

If you can answer these without googleing, you derserve another slice of pumpkin pie or key lime pie (which I know some of you prefer!). I did google, but I also have no pie!!!

Posted by Minka :: 11:54 am :: 13 Royal Subjects

13 Comments:

At 13:25, Blogger Fred said...

I can't answer # 3 and #4. I need my trusty assistant, Google, to help me. Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

 
At 13:49, Blogger Doug The Una said...

I only know #1 and #2, but Fred, I ain't a schoolteacher. Well, I can actually answer #5 but it would be snarky.

 
At 13:59, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Oh, and Monika, I'm saving you a slice of pumpkin pie.

 
At 14:02, Blogger Minka said...

Fred, cut yourself a tiny sliver!
Doug, since you are a dog, you got 14 points, that makes two slices of pie and some crumbs. Enjoy and thank you for saving me some!

 
At 14:56, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Thanks, and thanks to Abraham Lincoln for saving the Republic, freeing the slaves, and giving me the excuse to eat like a Roman senator.

Have a great night, Monika.

 
At 22:02, Blogger TLP said...

I don't know number four. So I won't have any more pie. We ate two hours ago, so I'm not hungry anyway.

I'll have pecan pie later.

 
At 00:38, Blogger dddragon said...

I'm glad that I already had my pie - I'm pretty bad at this one!!

And TLP makes wonderful pecan pie!

 
At 01:50, Blogger Unknown said...

haha, thats such a funny picture!
no turkey for us, but why hasn't anyone given me a slice of that pie!

 
At 01:57, Blogger Minka said...

I´ll post all the answers soon.
TLP, like made from pecan nuts? I can imagine that taste, yeah I could eat a pie like that!
3D, you are fortunate to have read my blog after you enjoyed your meal :)
Keith, welcome to my page and your German is quite good actually.
I got a slice from Doug, didn´t you? I wonder how he is gonna talk himself out of this one!!!

 
At 15:15, Blogger The Reverent Eater said...

Ooooh. Pecan Pie. One of my very favorites. I think I'd like to try TLP's Pecan Pie some day...if only I could be so lucky...
Happy Day After Thanksgiving!

 
At 16:20, Blogger Minka said...

Ok, Thanksgiving is over and here are the answers:
1) Mayflower (which I think is a fantabulous name for a ship)
2) 1621
3) Abe Lincoln
4) Sarah Josepha Hale
5) 2ond Monday in October

and a little extra information. F.D Roosevelt changed Thanksgiving to the 3rd Thurday in November-he wanted to lengthen the Christmas shopping period-, but a public outcry made him change it back :)

 
At 23:23, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Monika! I can't believe you sold me down the river! By the way, Lincoln's announcement of Thanksgiving is a gorgeous speech. I bet you can find it on Google.

 
At 14:38, Blogger Minka said...

Doug, When did I sell you down the river? Why don´t I understand what youa re talking about?

 

Post a Comment

Bow Before Your Queen and be Transported HOME!

-------------------------------------


Monika- Made in East Germany


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com