I live by:

Weather...it happens!

Everything Monika

adopt your own virtual pet!

Monika's Reads

Visitors

My Button!

Monika Said...

Credits

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Just plain rude...

Some people are seriously a waste of space.
My boyfriend and I went swimming the other day and had a lovely time until one guy had to mess it up.
An oversized Icelander entered the hot-pot and commented: "það er alltaf sérkennilegt lykt af svörtu fólki." Losely translated that means: ´There is always a particular smell from black people.´ My boyfriend, I and the lady this was probably adressed to stood up and left the area immediately. In hindsight: I should have said something. But I was just too stunt at the moment. Comments like these always catch me of guard and each time I feel like I wanna punch something.
It strikes me as odd that the basic knowledge about our world, namely that we are all humans and therefore belong to the same species - is so hard to get through to some people. It is infuriating!
I have lived in Iceland my whole adult life and I would spit at anyone saying that this is more their home than mine. The worst comment I have received here was from a guy in a library when my boyfriend and I chatted in English and the guy said: "Iceland for Icelanders!" I just swallowed it, but it upset me for days afterwards.
I think that the feeling of belonging is so important to each and everyone of us that having it taken away is just a crime in my eyes. We should each be able to decide where that place is that we call home.
Apparently international boundaries have not been transcended as far as I would have thought or wished for.

Posted by Minka :: 1:37 pm :: 20 Royal Subjects

20 Comments:

At 18:00, Blogger AsianSmiles said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 18:02, Blogger AsianSmiles said...

I agree with you on this. Some people are just too insensitive sometimes.

(Sorry I had to delete the previous comment, I wasn't sure if I wrote it correctly - lols.)

 
At 18:47, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah i was really disgusted when I heard that story! Some people are not fit to live among humans and he is one of those!

 
At 21:23, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An idea for a comment:" Yes really? And such a nice smell too." But he got what he wanted: the hot pot all for himself.
Mom.

 
At 21:59, Blogger Tryggvi said...

I'm not really sure if he meant it in a bad way. It was probably more of a imbecile comment from a person that doesn't know any better. But, I should have pounded the cunt anyway..

 
At 23:56, Blogger Minka said...

Hi asiansmiles ann welcome to my site. Can I venture a guess and reason that it was through Waking Ambrose that you got here?

Tryggvi,eventhough he did not mean it as bad as I thought it sounded, it is something that one just does not say because a) it is not true and b) quite frankly dicriminating.

Mom, maybe that was his intention to begin with. I was thinking of saying somethign like: "well your sweat-smell ain´t that great either!"

 
At 03:09, Blogger AsianSmiles said...

LOL Monika! Yes!

 
At 07:21, Blogger Tryggvi said...

Hey, I like ur new clock. Pretty!

 
At 10:37, Blogger Minka said...

I thought as much ;)

Tryggvi, yeah isn´t it? I spend so much time blogging that I have to keep track of time. Yesterday I almost showed up late for work!

 
At 11:22, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and what about that guy in the library!!!?!! narrow mindedness, stupidity and racism is a dangerous combination. it's a sad thing how common it is though ...

 
At 12:26, Blogger Minka said...

Maria, you know the glass-ceiling effect for women? I think it is almost gone! But as a foreigner I feel it a lot!

 
At 02:19, Blogger TLP said...

How sad. I thought that people in other countries were better about these things than people are here in the U.S.

Isn't the same blue sky above us all? And everywhere people love their children just the same. All children of the human race.

 
At 14:13, Blogger Minka said...

TLP, I would have thought so. But here in Europe there is more a sense of a country and nationality I guess, with different languages indicating borders.
America has been a meltingpot of different cultures from the very beginning and one would assume by now that people would have gotten over the colour issue.
I don´t care if people are green, black, white or purple as long as the person is a good person.

 
At 15:20, Blogger Doug The Una said...

TLP, I had the same response, although I have to admit my first was "There's black people in Iceland?"

I'm glad to hear you say what you did, Monika, because I'm green.

 
At 23:42, Blogger TLP said...

Poor Doug. It ain't easy bein' green. It's so hard in fact that someone wrote a song about it. Guess, mmmm, oh yeah, it was that Kermit the Frog.

Monika I thought that I'd come over here and answer your question about The Mall of America. In one of our cross-country trips my husband and I went out of our way to visit this giant mall, which is in Bloomington, Minnesota, a suburb of Minneapolis. I had heard about it for years.

It would be fun with kids because there is an amusement park enclosed right inside the mall. A complete amusement park. With a roller coaster and all the other stuff. Kinda amazing. There are a lot, and I mean a LOT, of stores. But in the end, it's just more of the same. Not as much fun as I had thought it would be.

 
At 23:57, Blogger Minka said...

Thanx TLP! Iceland is such a snall country that anything on a scale like a mall with an amusement park inside would attract us, I guess. I get quickly tired when shopping...it is hard workout I feel.

Doug, I had a sligth suspicion of you being green. I myself am srtiped with a dotted head and a bow-feathered tail. Much like the sphinx I suffer from an identity crisis ;)

 
At 14:47, Blogger Doug The Una said...

You can hear it in my voice, can't you? You sound very pretty, Monika.

TLP, Van Morrison covered "It's Not Easy Being Green" in the 70s (Hard Nose The Highway is the album I think.) I still want to know why.

 
At 16:15, Blogger Minka said...

and we just added a little bit of red colour into my already confused being!

 
At 02:01, Blogger Tom & Icy said...

It's hard just being alive. I saw on some science show where they took a movie of plants using time-lapse photography and the plants were actualy fighting each other over a spot of sunlihgt.

 
At 18:36, Blogger Jen said...

My "witty" reply: "No sir, I think that's your upper lip that you're smelling."

 

Post a Comment

Bow Before Your Queen and be Transported HOME!

-------------------------------------


Monika- Made in East Germany


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com