I live by:

Weather...it happens!

Everything Monika

adopt your own virtual pet!

Monika's Reads

Visitors

My Button!

Monika Said...

Credits

Monday, August 01, 2005

Old People and Vegetables...

Though these two ideas might be interchangable -with a little stretch of imagination- I am referring to my old and my new job.
I left Grund behind and those old people will now have to be dressed by somebody else. No more questions that I have answered already a billion times. One of my first conversations entering the old-people home 3 years ago:
A tiny old lady approached me as I entered the door on my very first day:
"Dear, could you be so nice as to tell me where my room is?"
"Sure...wait a sec...well, what is your name?"
"Hmmm...I don´t remember right now, people tell me I forget things, but don´t worry it will come back to me" she says with a smile and plans to move on when she turns around:"What is it you wanted again dear?"
Ahhh, sweet memories and I miss them sorely.
Now I am in charge of the vegetables in one of Icelands biggest stores. And I am not particular found of it, I have to admit. My first day yesterday was horrific and I almost cried on my way home. Nine hours on my feet and those people just keep on coming asking for freshly-cut Asparagus. Today was slightly better though and time passed quickly, and with a little pinch of optimism those vegetables grow on you;)
But I swear to God, there are people born into this world purely for the one meaning of annoying employees at the mall. I mean there all sorts of fellows and I can take some cheek, but there is a line.
One guy strolled in this morning at around 10,clearly having nothing better to do, he picked up an exotic looking fruit I have never tried in my life and asked me how you cook it. He obviously had no idea what he was holding, nor any intention of buying it...I think his sole purpose was to test me. So I replied in a polite voice that my job is to keep the shelves filled, make sure there are no moldy or out-dated groceries, but I am definately not there to give recipes! He looked at me and moved on. The girl that has worked there for quite some time, gave me a huge smile and told me that he comes often and asks weird questions - just to pass time. I am ready for him tomorrow. Oh...the fruit,by the way, was a Tamarillo-whatever that entails :)
The best line I got today was in English...very likely an exchange student at the university: "Excuse me Miss, where could I find your phone number?" See, I did not have a smart reply for that one. Come to think of it I should have said something like:´Oh, that one is sold out!´

Posted by Minka :: 2:23 pm :: 10 Royal Subjects

10 Comments:

At 18:35, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So was the guy who asked for your number good-looking?

 
At 18:44, Blogger Minka said...

Hmmm...didn´t really pay attention. I was just baffled. He might have been Swedish, not sure though...but we all know I only go for the darker type ;)

 
At 02:30, Blogger Tryggvi said...

Hmm.. people asking for ur number us say? Do I have to come down there and mark my territory? I think I might do that soon. And sweety, the vegetables are lucky to have u, just like me and Derrick and Harry.

 
At 17:52, Blogger Minka said...

Sure. Why don´t you come and pee all around me and the vegetable area...maybe we can print a picture of you on the back of my shirt and I can have "property of Tryggvi" written on my forehead! :)

 
At 19:42, Blogger Tryggvi said...

I would prefer it tattooed on ur forehead. I like the other suggestions.

 
At 19:58, Blogger Doug The Una said...

No fair, my comment disappeared. Anyway, I think using vegetables to socialize is even sorrier than blogging.

 
At 21:34, Blogger Minka said...

You would think, wouldn´t you? I get all sorts of crap now, but sometimes it is very funny:)
You can tell the guys coming in with a list written by their girlfriend and they really have no clue where they could find Basilkum, if they ever had it and what it even is. There is a certain look on their face that radiates desperation and the sigh of relief I get when I ask if I could be of assitance. Another secret tip: stay away from old ladies, they want everything cut in half! I hide when I see them approaching :)

 
At 14:42, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Old ladies and young men looking for company.

 
At 02:09, Blogger Jen said...

Here is a recipe for the tamarillo. It is a poaching method, commonly suggested as the simplest cooking method for this fruit:

Lightly score a cross through the skin at the pointed end of 6 fruit.

In a smallish pan, just large enough to hold the fruit in one layer, bring 1 bottle of a light spicy red wine (a shiraz or pinot noir would be good) and 2 cups of water to the boil. Add 3 cups of sugar or two cups of manuka honey, half a red chilli, chopped, 1 cinnamon quill and a tablespoon of sliced ginger and simmer for 5 minutes.

Add the tamarillos and bring to the boil, put a lid on and simmer for 2 minutes only, then take off the heat and leave to cool. Store, covered, in the fridge for at least 24 hours.

When chilled they are ready to serve, delicious with cheese or a custard desert such as vanilla panacotta or cheesecake.

 
At 16:13, Blogger Minka said...

Wow, that sounds delicious. You like to cook, I can tell :)
Now I have to translate all this into Icelandic and give it to the guy. I bet his eyes would pop out :)
Nice seeing you again.

 

Post a Comment

Bow Before Your Queen and be Transported HOME!

-------------------------------------


Monika- Made in East Germany


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com