I live by:

Weather...it happens!

Everything Monika

adopt your own virtual pet!

Monika's Reads

Visitors

My Button!

Monika Said...

Credits

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Back with the old ones...

Monday: My job interview. The new place is about 7 minutes form my home, so I ran down to my interview. I arrived red-cheeked and out of breath, when the friendliest person ever greeted me. The interview took a couple of minutes and to be entirely honest I didn´t even have to deliver my piece of the conversation. The woman almost ate me and wanted to sign me on the spot. But I decided to talk first with the payment department. I am not going below what I earned at the old palce. A little bit of pride nevr hurt anybody.

Tuesday: I went prepared to the pay-department at my new job, a copy of my old contract ready at hand, prepared to fight. Upon entering a smiling young lady encouraged me to have a seat and if I would like a cup of coffee. She gave me a usual run-down of the place, its histoy and employees duties when she turned to the most important topic: my salary! Ok, I was ready for this. I had worked at the other place for four years and earned a certain level of expertise...this time I was not going to back down. But yet again, there was really nothing I needed to do. She had already decided to put me two classes up (which amounts to 15.000-20.000 more a month) and I left happily.

Wednesday: My first shift, a night shift and again: there was nothing I really needed to do. I spent the night watching new videos with two other girls, a lot of chatting, coffee and cake. Occasionally we had to answer a bell. These lovely old people usually just wanted something to drink, a pain killer or just a few minutes of company. It was really lovely. The job is so much easier and the staff really nice: both amongst themselves and towards the old ones.

The only difference: I worked in an Alzheimer department before. Now these are just normal old people. I have developed a tendency to repeat myself and always re-introduce myself every time. Now I get a lot of: ´Yes, I know your name is Monika, you told me so last night!´

Anyways, I am very happy with my choice!

Posted by Minka :: 12:00 pm :: 8 Royal Subjects

8 Comments:

At 13:11, Blogger Tryggvi said...

Very good. I'm happy that u have found such a convenient job. Just be careful, we don't know what is lurking in those trees and bushes on the way to work...

 
At 14:22, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Congratulations, Monika! Seems like your optimism wasn't up to the test. Just a question: When you say 15,000 are those Kroener? I realize I don't know your currency. Ice cubes?

 
At 17:16, Blogger Minka said...

Our currency is Kronurs. 64 Kronurs is about 1 Dollar and there is almost nothing you can buy for that here :)
except:
Chewing gum
maybe a roll
3 Plastic bags at the grocery store

can´t think of anything else. Anyone wanna help?

 
At 17:45, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you could find a roll that cost 64 kronur, I'd love to know where it is! :-) Hm... I think you can buy a... christ that's a difficult question... I can only come up with those sweets you buy in bags for as much money as you want! And I'm so glad you like your job so far... I was still waiting to hear when you started because last time we chatted you were waiting to hear so I figured you'd call and either moan or rave about it... so I think we need to meet for coffee and then you can tell me all about it in person. There is other stuff to be discussed over coffee too... oh so much to talk about, so little money to buy the coffee... ooh... if you split it 5 ways you could buy one café latté to share between the five of you for the bargain price of 64 kronur each!

 
At 18:02, Blogger Minka said...

Sorry, I should have called. But I knew you were busy and today I read you were gonna paint the town red. How as it?

 
At 21:49, Blogger Kolbrún said...

Congrats on your new job and I really have to comment on how many bags you can buy at the grocery store :) for 64 kronas. See one bag (last time I checked) costs 15 ISK (Icelandic Kronas for those who are in the dark) and I believe that 4x15 is 60 so you get 4 bags. :) ;) But mind you I've been away for a whole month and it might have changed. Speaking of bags from the grocery store. Here you don't pay and they use an awful lot of bags and the garbage bin I have in my kitchen is 30 L so I don't use small bags in it so my kitchen cabinets are filling up with white plastic bags. Should I send you some?! Cheers from Edinburgh

 
At 16:31, Blogger Minka said...

Thanx, but I think I am all covered with plastic bags. I´ll let you know if I find myself without them.
At Nóatún a bag is 20 KR...I assumed it was everywhere. Whoever pays attention anyway?
Hope you are ahving a great time in Scotland...I am sooo jeallous!
You go girl!

 
At 08:19, Blogger Kolbrún said...

20 kr. WOW - well Noatun doesn't have the reputation of being the most expensive grocery store in Iceland without a reason.

Glad your out of there!

Congrats on your sister, job, hairdo and all - life seems to be good to you.

 

Post a Comment

Bow Before Your Queen and be Transported HOME!

-------------------------------------


Monika- Made in East Germany


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com