I live by:

Weather...it happens!

Everything Monika

adopt your own virtual pet!

Monika's Reads

Visitors

My Button!

Monika Said...

Credits

Sunday, July 03, 2005

The things I do...

This Saturday morning I got up at 7. Boiled some rice for my crop infected bird, got dressed and went to work. Work was finsihed at 13 o´clock and I went to the next pet store to buy some quality soft food for my budgy, received a phone call to babysit for an hour and picked up the kid in question.
After feeding my sick bird, I got another phone call. The brother of the kid I already was sitting called and asked if I could drive him to the shopping mall. The Norwegian band Wig Wam had come to Reykjavik. For those of you inside of Europe, this is the band Iceland gave 12 points in the Eurovision Song Contest. So they are as hot as Britney Spears overseas.
Well, what can one do. Got the keys, put the one kid in the car and got the other. we arrived in time and waited in line. The group, of course, was fashionably late. I was sent to buy a CD that could be signed later...always glad to be of service. And, abiding to the laws, I lost both boys in the crowd. Thank God, we live in Iceland and nobody is gonna kidnap your child, so eventually they will turn up... I thought. So while I was surrounded by sweaty men and screaming teenagers I realized that I was definately to old for this kinda thing. The band was there for ten minutes and I thought once the crowd will clear I will see those little heads I am looking for...nothing!
After running around for a while, coming up with several excuses for their mother, I decided to go to the spot I mentioned to them some time ago, as a place to check in when one of us gets lost. And there they were, standing smiling. One of them got two signitures and he was energetically explaining to me that he would frame those. I was proud. They were smiling and I realized that when I was young nobody took me to get signitures from my favourite band (which is just as well, since it wasn´t my most enlightened period of musical appreciation:). I did something nice and the phone rang...Could I please come to work, somebody was sick and they were understaffed.?!
What can I do...drove children home and went to work until ten.
What a day!
The budgy is fine now and we are playing with the idea of calling them Derrick and Harry Klein.
If I have learned something today, it would have to be: Soemtimes it is ok to put your phone on silent!

Posted by Minka :: 2:47 pm :: 17 Royal Subjects

17 Comments:

At 15:21, Blogger Tryggvi said...

Yes, the phone can be on silent more often, except when I'm trying to reach u of course. But I'm glad it was on silent this morning because ur work called, because they always call u first in times of trouble. U have to learn to say no more often to those people, or just let me pick up when they call. I also want to say that I'm very happy ur entertaining the idea of Derrick and Harry Klein. It would make me soooo happy! Maybe now is the time for me to press for name-choosing after the lopapeysa today! :-)

 
At 15:24, Blogger Minka said...

Yes dear. The problem is that we are supposed to pick the names together and when I give in now, you´ll have gotten your way again.
Wouldn´t that mean I am a push-over?!

 
At 15:27, Blogger Tryggvi said...

No dear. Yes dear. I don't know dear.

 
At 18:10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't say I like the surname Klein for a bird. But Derrick and Harry is quite a cute combination... if you want them to get picked on by other birds that is! ;-) No actually they have grown on me since I started this entry... but can't you pick a name each and then you'll both be happy! Dirty Harry rings nicely! :-)

 
At 18:17, Blogger Minka said...

I just love Derrick and if one of them turns out to be a boy, Derrick it is. Harry Klein was just so ingenious, because one of them is smaller (klein) then the other and always on the move, a little more active and over-eager then Derrick, the cool layed back kinda guy. It fits them perfectly.

 
At 14:50, Blogger Tryggvi said...

Heyr heyr! I think Lisa that ur suffering from a lack of telly watching, that is to say German detective shows such as Derrick. Derrick and Harry Klein were a dynamic duo and I agree with Monika that the names are very fitting. For the time being, Stephan Derrick und Harry Klein it is! Men Stephan...

 
At 22:37, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Good names. bad day. Sorry about that. I just got back from three days with children. Feeling very careful.

 
At 01:22, Blogger Minka said...

Doug: You know Derrick and Harry Klein? They made it all the way over the Atlantic? I am impressed, 'cause the show was never that big in Germany...at least where I am from.

 
At 11:43, Blogger Doug The Una said...

I don't know Derrick and Harry, just like the names, although I feel like I saw a rerun in Germany when I was there in February.

Danke für mir hilfen mit Deutsch. Or something like that.

 
At 11:41, Blogger Minka said...

Derrick is a German version of CSI, only older, more slow and not that good!
The most known sentence from the series is: "Stefan? Ja Harry!" and Icelanders everywhere pride themselves in their knowledge of the German language while reciting these lines. The really good ones know "Deutschland Ueber Alles" as well.
It make sme so happy.
And you are most welcome.

 
At 13:03, Blogger Tryggvi said...

I feel like I have to step in here. Derrick is nothing like CSI whatsoever. It is however a classy (!) German detective show that was very big in Iceland but not so in Germany. CSI is just another American garbage, very unrealistic and utterly predictable. And if anyone is wondering, no, lab-rats do not carry guns and interview witnesses!

 
At 23:22, Blogger Doug The Una said...

On behalf of American garbage, I beg your pardon.

 
At 23:00, Blogger Tryggvi said...

U can consider urself, along with American garbage, pardoned. Of course I did not mean to insult anyone (well maybe a tiny bit)here. There is a lot of good tv stuff that comes out of America. Sadly, the crap is more visible. CSI is definitely one of those programs with massive following but no real content. I have sometimes said I think America probably has some of the best and some of the worst of everything in the world. I stick by that. Go Team America!

 
At 11:53, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that they have the best and worst of everything but I guess you get that with a huge country like that with so much money! Monika, are we gonna have a new blog entry anytime soon... I mean it's not like you don't have anything exciting to talk about... hints: your new job, your lovely friend (that's me by the way), the progress of the birds, the fact that your birthday is coming up soon etc etc etc... do I need to write it for you?? :-)

 
At 13:17, Blogger Minka said...

I will. Tomorrow though. Has been a rough week. I have been mentally organizing Hagkaup´s shelves.

 
At 11:21, Blogger Doug The Una said...

There's money here? When's Monika's Birthday?

 
At 11:51, Blogger Minka said...

Monika was born on the 17th of July in 1977.

 

Post a Comment

Bow Before Your Queen and be Transported HOME!

-------------------------------------


Monika- Made in East Germany


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com